If you are in a hurry and just want to find out what the best electric shaver for sensitive skin is, then we recommend the Braun Series 3 ProSkin 3040s Electric Razor as the best one.
When it comes to electric shavers, many men with sensitive skin have complaints about itching and irritation. If you want to look your best after you shave each morning, you need the right tool for the job.
It isn’t always easy to choose the right electric razor for your face. Fortunately, we’ve done the research for you to help you choose the best electric shaver for sensitive skin.
In this article, we are going to review the following electric shavers
- Braun Series 3 ProSkin 3040s Electric Razor
- Braun Series 9 9290cc Electric Razor
- Philips Norelco Electric Shaver 9700
- Braun Series 7 790cc Electric Razor
- Panasonic Arc5 Electric Razor ES-LV65-S
Foil Shavers vs. Rotary Shavers
There are two types of electric shavers that you can use, including foil shavers and rotary shavers. The first electric shaver was a foil design produced in 1937, while the rotary shaver was introduced just two years later in 1939.
Foil shavers have a thin piece of perforated foil, often made of steel, that covers the oscillating blades inside. Hairs enter through these holes, and the razors inside move back and forth for a gentle, even cut. Because of its design, you can only use foil shavers in a straight line.
Rotary shavers are slightly more complex in their design. Three shaving heads have interior tracks that typically contain between three and six blades that rotate around in a circle. Each head moves independently to follow the contours of your face better.
Foil shavers tend to be more gentle on sensitive skin than rotary shavers. The foils smooth the skin as they pass over, and the perforated holes capture hairs without tugging. However, foil shavers aren’t always best for contoured faces.
Rotary shavers are better for those who have to deal with awkward angles when grooming each morning. They’re also better at dealing with varying lengths of hair for an even and comfortable shave.
Rotary shavers can sometimes cause irritation, unfortunately. For those with sensitive skin, it’s best to look for a low-friction design and hair-lifting technology that helps to prevent skin burns and hair-pulling.
What to Consider When Choosing an Electric Shaver for a Sensitive Skin
Regardless of the type of shaver that you’re looking for, there are several important factors to consider if you have sensitive skin. Here, we go over what to keep in mind when looking at the best electric razor for sensitive skin.
Your Shaving Habits
Not all electric shavers are waterproof. If you prefer to shave in the shower, or if you use cream, foam, or gel when grooming, you should make sure to look for a razor with both wet and dry capabilities.
Shaving wet is often best for those with sensitive skin, as it helps to keep skin moisturized, lubricated, and smooth. This helps to prevent blades from catching on hairs or rough patches of skin. You can find both foil and rotary designs that allow for wet shaving.
Here’s a youtube video with a little bit more information on the differences between wet and dry shaving.
Your Grooming Routine
Not all of us are diligent about shaving each morning. Sometimes, it’s easier to just skip a day or two, especially on the weekends. If you tend to have an irregular grooming schedule, you may want to look for a rotary razor as opposed to a foil design.
Rotary shavers are able to deal with both long and short hairs with ease. Whether you’re only shaving a day’s worth of growth or have week-old stubble, a rotary design can handle it without stressing out your skin. Just make sure to look for a model with smooth heads that are gentle on sensitive areas.
If you frequently travel, whether it’s for work or pleasure, you need a shaver that you can take along with you anywhere in the world. It’s a good idea to look for something with a compact design that can easily fit in a travel case, and a model with universal voltage.
You may also want to consider looking for a cordless model. Not only are shavers with cords harder to maneuver, but they also tend to be bulkier than the alternative. Be sure to look for cordless models that have a short charging period and long battery life.
Cleaning and Maintenance
Ease of cleaning is an important consideration when it comes to shavers, especially if you use foam or gel. Dry shavers are often difficult to clean in this regard and may require the use of a specialized brush or another tool.
It’s much easier to maintain an electric razor that’s been specially designed for easy cleaning. Many have one-click locks that give you access to the interior of the head, allowing you to remove excess hair and other debris.
Waterproof shavers are some of the easiest to clean. You can simply run dirty components under tap water after each shaving session to keep your razor in top condition every day.
The best electric shaver for sensitive skin doesn’t necessarily have to cost you an arm and a leg. You can find electric razors across all price ranges, from bare-bones budget options to more expensive luxury options with multiple add-on features.
The most important thing to weigh against price range is durability. It may be worth it to spend a little bit extra on a shaver with a robust design. You won’t have to fix or replace it as often as with cheaply built products.
Our Favorite Electric Shavers for Sensitive Skin
There are countless options out there when it comes to electric shavers. It can be a challenge to decide which is the best electric razor for sensitive skin. What’s best for one person’s face may not be ideal for your own. Here, we go over our top five picks for the best electric shaver for sensitive skin.
This foil razor from Braun is specially designed for men with sensitive skin. Three specialized cutting elements give a close yet gentle shave. They’re protected by SensoFoil, a patented metal mesh that protects your skin for greater comfort when grooming.
The blades of Series 3 are pressure-sensitive, retracting automatically when necessary to help protect your skin from razor burn.
Micro Comb technology ensures that you get more hair with each stroke to cut back on your shaving time and reduce irritation. It works to lift and catch more hair so that you’re not left with a patchy appearance.
A built-in precision trimmer on the back of the shaver gives you more control over the look of your facial hair. You can use it to reach difficult areas, edge, and more.
Series 3 is waterproof by design, meaning that you can use it for both wet and dry shaving. It’s also safe to rinse the device under running water for easy cleaning.
Two nickel-metal hydride batteries give this electric razor plenty of power to keep going for 45 minutes of shaving. It takes ah hour to fully charge, though there is a quick five-minute charge option for when you’re short on time. It gives you just enough power for one shave.
Series 3 comes in a sleek blue or black design. It includes a charger, a protective cap, and a cleaning brush for easy blade maintenance.
- Affordable for low to mid-range budgets
- Three pressure-sensitive blades to prevent razor burn
- Blades are covered by mesh SensoFoil for a smooth and safe glide
- Micro Comb technology ensures that you don’t miss any hair when shaving
- A convenient built-in trimmer for detail work such as edging
- A thin precision head makes it easy to reach difficult areas
- Waterproof design for wet shaving
- Easy to clean manually under running water
- Bright and compact design make the shaver ideal for travel
- Only takes an hour to charge fully
- Offers 45 minutes of shaving time
- Includes a protective cap, charger, and cleaning brush
- LED battery indication display
- Foil heads wear out quickly
- Motor gives out with heavy use
- Casing isn’t robust
- Weak charging port
- Slightly shorter shaving time than other foil models
Read other reviews here on Amazon
Braun’s Series 9 is one of the company’s most luxurious razor lines, helping to set the standard in shaving. The model prioritizes comfort without sacrificing a smooth, close cut.
Series 9 has been tested on three-day beards against other leading products and proves itself ahead of the competition every time. It lives up to claims that it’s “The World’s Most Effective Shaver.”
This is a foil razor with an advanced design. Five shaving elements, including four razors and a skin guard, work in concert to give you a quick and comfortable shave. There are also two specialized titanium-coated trimmers that capture stray hairs, ensuring you don’t miss any spots.
Intelligent Sonic and AutoSense technology also work to help tackle tricky hairs. 10,000 micro-vibrations per second help to lift hairs that are lying flat or below skin level, allowing Series 9 to cut more efficiently with each stroke.
Unlike many other foil razor designs, the Braun Series 9 is made to follow contours with 10-D Contour Adaptation technology. The head is flexible thanks to floating shaving elements. It can rotate in 10 separate directions, allowing you to get a smooth shave even around the neck, nose, and jawline.
Series 9 is waterproof up to five meters, so you can use it for either wet or dry shaving depending on personal preference. You can also safely use it with your favorite foam or gel for an even gentler shave. It self-cleans and lubricates for optimal performance every time.
A lithium-ion battery that takes one hour to recharge offers 50 minutes of shaving time. A sleek digital display shows battery life using five different steps and alerts you as to when you’ve reached the final nine minutes of charge.
- Sleek metallic design that takes up minimal bathroom space
- Tested and proven to be effective at shaving day’s worth of hair growth
- Five shaving elements, including a skin guard, for a close and comfortable shave
- Titanium-coated trimmers capture stray hairs without tugging
- Sonic and AutoSense technology helps to raise hairs for a smoother shave
- 10-D Contour Adaptation Technology allows you to reach difficult areas
- Waterproof up to five meters for both wet and dry shaving
- Works with gels, creams, and more for a frictionless shave
- Self-cleaning and self-maintaining
- Charges in just an hour
- Offers up to 50 minutes of shaving time in a single charge
- A convenient digital display lets you know how much battery you have left
- More expensive than similar models
- Misses fine hairs
- Waterproof casing is susceptible to leaks
- Doesn’t hold up to heavy wear and tear
Read other reviews here on Amazon
While this is a rotary shaver, it’s been designed with sensitive skin in mind. It’s both comfortable and efficient, with rounded heads and an ergonomic design.
The Philips Norelco 9700 uses patented Contour Detect Technology to ensure a fast, close shave every time. Instead of moving in four directions like most rotary heads, the heads of the 9700 are able to move independently in eight directions, cutting up to 20% more hair per pass.
The 9700 also boasts V-Track Precision Blades, which are carefully engineered to capture and lift stubborn hairs for a closer cut. Not only does this prevent irritation from tugging but it also allows the razor to cut up to 30% closer without irritating your skin.
A powerful lithium-ion battery gives you a full hour of running time after an hour of charging. There’s also a five-minute quick-charge option for those who are in a hurry.
You can use a built-in digital interface to see information such as battery level, a cleaning indicator, a replacement head indicator, and travel lock status. You can also customize your shave using one of three settings, including one specially designed for those with sensitive skin.
Philips Norelco AquaTec technology seals the casing of the 9700 against water damage, making it ideal for wet shaving. You can use it in the shower, and it’s fine to use alongside shaving cream.
Once you’re finished grooming, the 9700 boasts a SmartClean PLUS system. This is designed to clean, lubricates, and dries your shaver after use at the push of a button.
- Winner of the 2015 iF Design Award
- Contour Detect Technology allows you to cut up to 20% more hair per pass
- Sharp V-Track Precision Blades cut up to 30% closer than standard blade systems
- Only takes an hour to reach full charge
- Up to an hour of shaving time
- Five-minute quick charge option gives enough battery power for a single shave
- Easy-to-read digital interface displays battery and maintenance information
- Three comfort settings give you control over your grooming sessions
- AquaTec technology allows for wet shaving
- SmartClean PLUS system automatically cleans the blade area
- SmartClick facial cleansing brush attached for deep skin cleaning
- Pricier than other rotary shaver options
- Can’t use when plugged in or charging
- You must remove the shaver head to use the built-in trimmer
- SmartClean PLUS system is not always effective at removing debris
- Takes up a decent amount of counter space
Read other reviews here on Amazon
The Braun Series 7 is slightly less luxurious than the premium Series 9, but it still offers a smooth, comfortable shave for those with sensitive skin at a slightly more affordable price.
This foil shaver contains three cutting elements and a SkinGuard, giving you a comfortable yet close shave without any discomfort. An eight-direction flexible head and floating shaving elements allow you to shave along contours and hard-to-reach areas.
If you have hairs that lay flat or at an awkward angle, Intelligent Sonic technology uses micro-vibrations to gently lift and separate hairs for a smoother glide. An ActiveLift trimmer also helps to capture unruly hairs, ensuring you don’t get a patchy cut.
Series 7 comes with five personalized shaving modes to give you more control over each grooming session. There’s even a specialized setting for sensitive skin that offers a more gentle shaving experience.
This electric shaver is fully waterproof for up to five meters, allowing you to use it in the shower safely. You can also clean it under the tap without having to worry about water damage.
The Braun Series 7 also offers a 4-action alcohol-based Clean & Charge station, which automatically cleans and lubricates the device.
This shaver can charge fully within one hour, and its lithium-ion battery provides you with 50 minutes of shaving time. A three-step display lets you know whether the device is fully charged, or needs to be connected.
- Three cutting elements and a skin guard for a close, comfortable shave
- An eight-direction flexible head to help tackle difficult contours
- Intelligent Sonic technology lifts and separates hair
- An ActiveLift trimmer prevents you from missing flat-lying hairs
- Five personalized shaving modes, including one for sensitive skin
- Waterproof for up to five meters for wet shaving and easy cleaning
- A 4-action alcohol-based Clean & Charge station for automatic maintenance
- Fully charges within one hour
- Up to fifty minutes of charge time
- A convenient three-step battery life display
- Ergonomic grip design
- Cordless for easy handling
- Comes with a travel case and cleaning brush
- More expensive than other similar options
- Difficult to clean manually
- Difficult to find replacement parts for repairs
- Doesn’t catch hair when shaving
- Dulls quickly
Read other reviews here on Amazon
This attractive foil shaver has a sleek, ergonomic design that looks good on any countertop. It’s compact, making it ideal for those with limited bathroom space.
A high-performance linear motor gives the shaver the power it needs to provide a smooth, even shave. It delivers 14,000 cuts per minute or 70,000 cross-cutting actions per minute.
Active Shave Sensor Technology automatically adjusts power flow based on facial hair density to prevent tugging, which can result in irritation for those with sensitive skin. By increasing or reducing motor speed depending on hair thickness, you can enjoy a more comfortable shave.
The Arc5 boasts five separate razor blades sharpened to an ultra-fine point. They’re set at a 30° angle so that they can more easily cut hair from the base. The foil is designed with various perforation patterns to maximize the amount of hair captured.
A Multi-Flex Pivoting Head is able to move from side-to-side and back-and-forth, allowing you to follow the contours of your face more closely. This gives you an even shave even in problem areas such as the neck and jawline.
A built-in trimmer pops out easily to give you more control over edging and detail work, including sideburns, mustaches, goatees, and more.
The Arc5 is completely waterproof. You can shave both in and out of the shower depending on which works better for your skin. It’s also easy to clean manually using the faucet or using a Panasonic Premium Automatic Cleaning & Charge Station.
With the Arc5, you get up to 40 minutes of shaving time on a full charge. An LCD battery indicator uses a 10-step system to quickly show you how much battery life is left on your shaver.
- Attractive and ergonomic design
- High-power 14,000 CPM linear motor for powerful performance
- Five separate blades for a closer cut set at a 30° angle
- Varied perforation patterns to pick up stray hairs
- Active Shave Sensor Technology adjusts power flow to optimize performance
- A Multi-Flex Pivoting Head moves from side-to-side and back-and-forth along contours
- A pop-out trimmer built into the casing for details work
- Waterproof design for wet shaving
- Easy to clean either manually or with an automatic cleaning station
- Easy-to-read LCD battery display with 10 steps
- Comes with a travel pouch for easy transportation
- Doesn’t last long with regular use
- Relatively pricey compared to other foil models
- Oversized head makes it difficult to control shave
- Premium Automatic Cleaning & Charge Station breaks down easily
- Shorter shaving time than other comparable models
Read other reviews here on Amazon
If you have sensitive skin, you don’t necessarily need to avoid electric razors. Plenty of rotary and foil razors are designed for comfort, with features designed to help reduce the risk of irritation and razor burn.
If you’re looking for the best electric razor for sensitive skin, there are plenty of options from which to choose. Both rotary and foil designs can leave your skin feeling its best after a quick shaving session.
In our opinion, the Braun Series 3 ProSkin 3040s Electric Razor is one of the best electric razors for sensitive skin. It’s compact and easy to clean, making it ideal for travel, and suitable for just about any grooming routine. Pressure-sensitive blades and a SensoFoil cover also protect the skin.