Buying a quality hair clipper can be a daunting task, especially if you are a barber specializing in cutting the hair of people of color.
Since the hair texture and thickness vary from normal hair, you must use a powerful clipper that works explicitly for afro hair types. You cannot buy any random model which would give up on you at any time, mid-cut.
The same applies if you wish to gift your son or want to buy one for yourself. If you or your clients are a person of color, we highly recommend that you invest your money in a tool that will genuinely work flawlessly for your hair type.
When POC hair is in the picture, there’s only one brand that can guarantee you an effortless fade without snagging, pulling, and irritation; It is none other than Andis clipper. They have excellent quality clippers for all types of hair and needs.
Keeping all these big little things in mind, we have curated a meticulous buyer’s guide with all the best models, which will skillfully trim the hair without any issues.
Best Andis Clippers – Reviews & Recommendations For 2021
Best Overall: Andis Master 01557 Hair Clipper
Our winner of the best Andis trimmer is undoubtedly the Andis Master 01557 Hair Clipper. This clipper is one of the most classic and original clippers, which works like butter on black hair.
The powerful 14,000 strokes per minute and strong aluminum body make it a perfect choice for professionals and at-home use.
- Cordless: No
- Strokes per minute:14,000 SPM
- Blade material: Carbon steel
- Body: Aluminium housing
- This Andis Master Clippers is an excellent choice for all-around cutting, trimming, fading, and tapering any hair type.
- Its industrial strength magnetic motor generates 14,000 cutting strokes per minute. The delicate and quick strokes reduce your work while speeding up the haircutting process drastically.
- The carbon steel blade is adjustable from fine to coarse. You can adjust it from size 00 to size one.
- These Andis hair clippers have carbon steel blades that work their way through any afro hair density—giving you a clean cut every time.
- The convenient and practical thumb-control side switch makes it easy to on/off the operation with just one hand. The easy spot comes in handy when you wish to stop the machine quickly, and with some time, the button operation becomes second nature to you.
- The machine comes with specially formulated blade oil to increase the life of the blade. Users are requested to oil the blade before use for a smoother blade-on-skin experience.
- Many loyal consumers who have been using this same model feel that the machine can be a little loud until you get used to it. If this is your first 01557, you will indeed have issues with the loud noise.
- The clippers get very hot after 20-30 minutes of use; you might have to let them cool for a few minutes before resuming your cut. The aluminum metal body indeed amplifies the heat.
The high-quality aluminum metal body is one of the best extra features of this product. The metal makes it nearly indestructible and suits people or barbers who enjoy a decent rugged clipper.
We highly recommend this Andis Master 01557 Hair Clipper for people who aren’t looking for a short-term accouterment. If oiled and cared for, this heavy-duty clipper can efficiently work for more than ten years without any issue.
Runner-up: Andis 79005 Supra ZR II Hair Clipper
Our runner-up Andis 79005 Supra ZR II Hair Clipper is one of the best Andis cordless clippers that you can find on the market. The multi-speed modules and detachable blade feature come in handy during various cuts.
- Cordless: Yes
- Strokes per minute: 1,800 to 3,800 SPM
- Blade material: Carbon steel
- Body: Polymer
- This product is an excellent detachable blade clipper that is meant for robust use.
- The device is 100% cordless, thus giving you the freedom to maneuver the clipper as per needs without the interruption of a cord or an electric outlet.
- This cordless device delivers an impressive 3 hour run time on a mere 2-hour charge schedule.
- You have the complete freedom of choosing the speed at your convenience. The clipper is loaded with five-speed modules that range from 1800 SPM to a maximum of 3,800 SPM. This feature gives you the ability to even work on kids without worrying about cuts and nicks.
- Its Lithium-ion power combined with a powerful rotary motor can easily cut through any hair type without lagging. The clippers can seamlessly fade dry or wet hair as per the clients’ or individual needs.
- The device also comes with a fast removable battery for a quicker replacement operation.
- The blades are made of carbon steel and have a polymer body for a smoother and richer feel. You are bound to feel less heat with the polymer shell of the clipper.
- Each blade comes with a charging stand, charging adapter, additional blade driver, and high-density blade oil so you can hop on your hair cutting journey as soon as you receive the package.
- The machine is comparatively on the heavier side than regular clippers. You have a high chance of getting hand fatigue by holding it for extended periods.
- The plastic piece behind the blade tends to pop out every once in a while. This popping out can be troublesome while you are on the task of cutting the hair.
The clipper has a detachable blade feature which makes cleaning the device a breeze. The blades cut smooth compared to other combs, and the clipper can house various blades to help you achieve the correct cut length for any styling as per your need. These Andis blades are crafted in Wisconsin from high-quality carbon steel.
If you search the highs and lows for a high-performance clipper that gives the freedom to be cordless, Andis 79005 Supra ZR II Hair Clipper is the perfect product for such a requirement. The truly cordless feel makes it the best Andis cordless clippers on this list.
Alternative: Andis 32400 Slimline Pro Hair Clipper
Our first alternative is the Andis 32400 Slimline Pro Hair Clipper, an ultra-light and sleek-looking non-corded trimmer. This product is an excellent alternative if your hands get tired with bulky clippers.
- Cordless: Yes
- Strokes per minute: 6,000 SPM
- Blade material: Carbon Steel
- Body: ABS
- This highly ergonomic and well-balanced trimmer is excellent for designing, outlining, and dry-shaving for thick hair.
- The body features an ultra-sleek look which also feels lightweight. The company uses ABS for its shell, which gives it its iconic lightweight. The model comes with a brushed nickel finish for a more classy look and feel.
- Andis 32400 Slimline Pro Hair Clipper comes with a cordless design for the ultimate flexibility while using.
- The device has a powerful rotary motor for increased power, speed, and light.
- Its lithium-ion battery efficiently delivers an optimum 2 hours worth of run time with a 2 hour 15 minute charging time.
- The clipper is equipped with a close-cutting T- blade for a cleaner and softer finish.
- These Andis clippers come with four attachment combs, a charging stand, an adapter blade, a cleaning brush, and high-quality brush oil.
- The blades of this particular model seem to attract surface rust very quickly.
- Many users have noticed that the clippers do not give the closest shave, it trims well, but the edges seem to feel blunt and not as crisp and close as people expected them to be.
This product comes with four attachment combs which are perfect for all types of hair styling needs. One does not have to buy extra combs for different hair length requirements. These included pieces can help you get the perfect haircut without any additional accessories.
Andis 32400 Slimline Pro Hair Clipper is the best device for trimming necklines, lineup, and light-duty touch-ups. However, be careful with this clipper as it will indeed not survive a fall on a hard floor.
Alternative: Andis 04603 Hair Clipper
Andis 04603 Hair Clipper is one of the best tools for dry shaving and lining your cut. Let us go through its benefits and drawbacks to understand the features of this product.
- Cordless: No
- Strokes per minute: 7200 SPM
- Blade material: Steel
- Body: Polymer
- This model is a perfect and professional solution for all-around outlining, fading, and dry shaving all hair types. You do not need gels, serums, and water to shave or style the hair.
- The clipper is highly equipped with a close-cutting carbon steel blade which is essentially hardened for long life. The blades also stay sharper for an impressive amount of time.
- The highly grooved and contoured housing of the machine fits very comfortably in your hands. Each finger gets adequately situated into each dedicated groove, thus eliminating the chances of slipping and ruining the cut.
- This corded clipper has a robust and heavy-duty 8-foot cord with a comfortable and fitting hanger loop.
- Since the blades give a 7200 SPM, it is ideal for dry shaving. You can get a clean shave without irritation and bumps. This model indeed is the best Andis beard trimmer for all types of hair.
- This kit comes with blade oil to keep the blades in pristine condition even after several uses.
- The device gets heated quickly, which discourages the user from using the device continuously. Waiting to cool down might hinder barbers who have a long list of clients waiting for them.
- Many users have noticed that you need to repeatedly go over a single spot to get a clean and fine cut.
This Andis 04603 Hair Clipper features very high-speed magnetic motors that are both quiet running and robust. The machine does not make loud, irritating noise that usually distracts the person who is cutting the hair.
We highly recommend this model for enthusiasts who wish to have a cleaner and closer haircut. Make sure to handle it with care, and the shell can bust open if handled haphazardly.
Alternative: Andis 73000 Envy Hair Clipper
Our last but surely not the least is the Andis 73000 Envy Hair Clipper. With the power of Lithium, this hair clipper can do wonders on your hair and drastically change your hair cutting routine. Let us go through all of its featured specs and benefits.
- Cordless: Yes
- Strokes per minute: 5500 SPM
- Blade material: Carbon Steel
- Body: Polymer
- This Lithium-ion powered clipper is excellent for robust and long-lasting uninterrupted cuts.
- This Andis cordless trimmer features an impressive 2 hours’ worth of run time with a mere charging time of 90 minutes or less. This product is truly great if you are concerned about the charging time and wish to get more by charging less.
- This trimmer weighs less than 10 oz, so barbers who prefer to use it for an entire day can work without causing any stress and strain on their hands.
- The product has high-speed adjustable blades for crisper and clearer cuts every time.
- Each product comes with eight clipper adjustment combs, blade guard oil, and charging plugs.
- The product doesn’t have a battery life indicator, which can be inconvenient if you aren’t keeping track of the battery use.
- The guards that come with the product are particularly flimsy and tend to break quickly after applying a little pressure.
Unfortunately, we weren’t able to find any extra features that caught our eyes.
If you are in the market mainly for a clipper from a trusted brand, then we highly recommend this product. This product is suitable for individuals who like to trim or cut their hair at home. Professionals can indeed find a better product from Andis’ wide variety of clippers.
Andis Clippers for Black Men FAQ
What are the best Clippers for Black Men?
There is no specific clipper or razor made for black men. However, any skilled barber or hairstylist will tell you that black men tend to have thicker, more ingrown hair. Sometimes, curlier hair, too. This kind of hair demands a more powerful clipper. Many brands have tried to build a machine that will cater to the needs described above.
Panasonic, Wahl, and Andis have been the best at making clippers for black men. Out of these, Wahl and Andis have constantly made the most robust machines. Also, they have been favored by the desired target audience. Philips and Remington have also dipped their feet into making stronger clippers that would be of service to black men, but Andis and Wahl have already captured that market.
The Wahl Professional 5 Star Clipper is also retailed in a new limited edition Gold color now. It is also cordless and one of the first choices of many hairstylists. Andis has also upped their game and manufactured the 22725 VersaTrim Cordless 14-piece clippers and trimmer kit, favored by many.
What hair clippers do professional barbers use?
Most barbers and hairstylists will have their own choice of clippers, trimmers, and razors. However, there are a few brands that are favored by barbers everywhere.
Philips, Panasonic, and Syska have been in the electric trimmer and clipper game for a long time. These brands provide good quality products and are reliable. However, with new brands coming up with products that cater to many of the hip and trendy needs of customers, barbers are looking forward to more contemporary brands like Andis.
If you visit a professional salon today, there is a significant chance of you finding Andis clippers or trimmers there. Because of its massive armada of men’s styling machines, Andis is now a preferred brand across many salons.
Some barbers prefer to use wired clippers in their salons. Andis caters to these needs very well, with its efficient wired machines. Andis also provides a lot of other facilities with its clippers and trimmers. These include adjustable heads, adjustable combs, special clippers for nose, ears, eyebrows, etc.
Andis clippers will enable you to cut more hair in less time, thanks to their delivery of 14,000 strokes per minute. Most Andis designs are catered to fit your hand in the best way possible and are made of aluminum, making them lightweight. They also allow users to trim both wet and dry hair. Moreover, styling your hair becomes that much easier with Andis, thanks to the multitude of combs and blade adjustments they offer.
What is better, Wahl or Andis?
Andis and Wahl are the forerunners in the Clippers game. You will find at least one of them in any good salon you visit. People also trust these brands enough to use them at home.
Their cordless varieties are shaking the market as we speak. However, when it comes to choosing between the two, it becomes a difficult choice. There are several factors to consider among these two stalwarts.
When it comes to the body of the clipper, Andis trumps all. With its sturdy aluminum body, an Andis clipper is more durable than any Wahl clipper, which usually has a plastic body. The aluminum body makes Andis the preferred choice of many barbers across the globe, as they are less prone to breaking.
Also, the Andis machine is sleek and features a fantastic, comfortable design. On the contrary, a Wahl machine has a bulkier design, which is not very comfortable to hold.
Andis machines feature carbon-coated steel blades that work flawlessly for any hair. These blades are begging for the challenge of coarse and ethnic hair. Andis’ flagship electromagnetic motors are the best in business, powering at 14,000 strokes per minute. The competitors at Wahl also manufacture good quality blades and motors, but they pale compared to the ones made by Andis.
Both brands retail adjustable clippers, and both of them are easy to maneuver. However, the Wahl adjustment lever is a little tricky to understand and grapple with. It would be best if you had a little bit of practice handling the Wahl lever. However, with the Andis, the adjustment level is located on the side and is easy to use. With Andis, you can get smoother fades with considerable ease.
Both clippers face heating problems when used for long durations of time. However, the Andis clipper cools down faster thanks to its metal frame and body – Aluminium is a good conductor of heat.
Andis Clippers are masters of the fades today. With their (literally) cutting-edge blades and high-powered motors, Andis clippers make it easier for stylists to create and blend fades quickly and smoothly. Wahl comes second in this race, but if you use both these clippers in a professional setting, you will discover that Andis has more to offer than any other clipper.
What to look for when buying men’s hair clippers?
Before looking for machines to purchase, you must know why you buy a clipper or a trimmer. Is it for professional use in a hairstyling studio or barbershop? Or is it for your bi-monthly trim?
Your purpose for using a trimmer or a clipper will decide what machine is best suited for you and fits your budget. For example, if you are looking for a trimmer for personal use, there is no point in investing a lot of money into it. You can find affordable mid-range trimmers and clippers easily.
When you are through with the purpose of your machine, there are a few factors you need to study before zeroing in on one. Make sure you purchase a reliable brand; Walmart clippers are not reliable and will not last long. They will also hack your hair instead of trimming them.
When you buy a clipper, inspect its brand for quality. You must know what your clipper is made of. Is it Aluminium, or is it plastic? What are the blades made of? How fast do the motors spin? These are a few questions you should know the answers to before making a purchase.
Lastly, find out what kind of accessories the company gives in the box along with the clipper. Most companies make clippers with adjustable blades and throw in a couple of extra combs in the box. Take a quick look at product reviews before initiating the purchase.
You will find that all the factors mentioned above are already included in Andis Clippers. They are a reputed brand that sells quality equipment at an affordable price.
We hope our buyer’s guide for the best Andis clippers was helpful to you.
We have smartly crafted this list by keeping in mind various users for amateur beginners at home to professionals working in a salon.
Whichever clipper you choose, we guarantee that it will help you achieve the best haircut every single time.